Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

Canon 50D on on board flash very dim light comes from it. 28-200

Canon 50D on on board flash very dim light comes from it. 28-200 lens fitted
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

There is no mode to do this, the Flash is not getting the power needed to work correctly.

Can I ask, which type of batteries have you put in the camera?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the canon batteries which came with the camera

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Billy, just needed to make sure you were not using replica's as they can have this problem.

It is the capacitor for the Flash that has faulted.

Basically it shorts out when building a charge, which then only supplies a small amount of voltage to the Flash, resulting in this issue. It is part of the mainboard and this would need to be replaced.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera so they can replace this. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.