Steve G.
Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company.
329447

Powershot A3150. When I turn on the power the lens extends

Powershot A3150. When I turn on the power the lens extends but makes a slight squeaking sound(?). When I look through the viewfinder it is not in focus. At the top of the screen an icon seems to stop halfway. What do you think I can do?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

Has the camera been dropped or bumped?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pretty sure neither has occurred.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, how long have you owned the cam? Was it bought new?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bought new. 2 years.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok. It sounds like the lens is not extending all the way out.

The fix here is unsophisticated and involves pulling on the inner lens barrel to click it back into place. It is not extending out as far as it should - it has jumped a gear on it's toothed track.

Be gentle with it but see if you can click it back into place.

Let me know.

I'll be here.

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. That hasn't worked. When I turn on power the lens extends smoothly with just a single buzz sound half way. Think doorbell here. When I use the zoom. The icon/symbol at the top of the lens shows a 3 small trees left and a big one right. A line has appeared on that track and the cursor stops there(2/3 of the way along and stops on 4X. Zoom again and it reads 4.9 until the end which shows 16X. Any help?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
It does sound like the typical problem where the lens mechansim has jumped teh gearing and will no longer extend correctly.

If you have given it a tug with no result, I'm not sure there is much else we can do. Some people have used compressed air and directed it between the concentric barrels. Sometimes a grain of sand or dirt can get stuck in there and prevent the lens from operating correctly.

I would try that next.

If that doesn't work, you may need to send it off to Canon in the UK or maybe a local repair shop.

Please let me know what happens.

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There's no give in the lens barrel at all. It appears fully extended but I suppose it could be jammed. I shall try compressed air at some point but don't such a thing to hand. Suggestions of where to obtain?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
You should be able to get a can of air from a local office supply shop.

Steve