Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Fugifilm finepix F600 EXR Have had the camera for a few years

Fugifilm finepix F600 EXR
Have had the camera for a few years now - no problems BUT suddenly today when I turn it on to take a photo - the screen lights up but pressing the button does not take a photo. There is the scene on the screen but no info about the photo mode which is usually there. turn it off then on again and twist the wheel around for the programme and suddenly it wakes up and is ready to take a photo. Anyone else had this problem ?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Have the same battery or batteries been used in the camera for a year or more? if so,it may have become polarized to the point that the peak current delivering capacity is not sufficient for some operations or peak current load.

Otherwise, and if that isn't the case, it sounds as if the camera's control circuitry is a little erratic. Turning the programme wheel may 'joggle' the circuitry to the point that it initializes or functions properly again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The battery is the original rechargeable one, but appears to charge OK and hold it's charge. When fully charged the litttle battery icon shows full. How can I check if it is polarised?

Turning the programme wheel, as I said, does seem to eventually spark it into action. But this is not very useful when you have a shot to capture now, and only now.

Is there a way to reset the camera?
If the battery is the original one, then whether you have charged and discharged it regularly, or have not used it often, either way it is. A few years is enough to tell on any brand or type of camera rechargeable battery.

I heartily recommend replacing it with a new one, and charging that one up for 6 hours before trying it for the first time.

As for the old battery, depolarizing consists of discharging a battery as much as possible until it is completely discharged, then leaving it that way for overnight or at least 12 hours, then charge it up completely. It probably won't make a difference. Old rechargeables don't work well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK I will try a new battery but when I test the battery it shows 4 volts on my voltmeter when charged which is better than the quoted 3.6v on the battery.

I hope that sorts the problem

The voltage when charged does not determine the voltage under load, nor the internal resistance (which when it rises with aging of the battery, reduces power-delivering capability.)

I hope a new battery, well-charge for 6 hours the first time, will solve the problem. Let me know, Peter. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, have ordered a battery - should be here in the next few days - will try it out after a full charge.

Peter

Let me know at your convenience. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

New battery arrived. Charged overnight. Put in the camera, but I still have to press the Menu OK button and wait for it to wake up! Is there a way to reset the camera and would that help?

20mins later

Have just reformatted the card (shouldn't make any difference - I know) and reset the the camera - That did work! It now seems to wake up immediately and be ready to shoot !

Don't know if the battery helped - I haven't tried it with the old battery yet.

Peter

Well, that's good news.

Why the card's format would count, I don't understand and can't guess. But anything that works, works. I hope the cure lasts.

Please rate my Answer - hopefully favorably - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX luck!