Richard, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience working on all forms of electronics and cameras both film and digital.
46422908

I cant get the encoder strip to marry to the print carriage

Customer Question

I cant get the encoder strip to marry to the print carriage on my canon Pixma MX870. I've cleaned it, joined it to both ends of the chassis, but I keep on getting error 5100 and the print carriage is crashing left then right when I switch the unit on. How do I guide the encoder strip through the chassis?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hi. My nsme is Rick and I am a digital camera professional.

Lets give this a try

Turn off the printer and then unplug it from the power source.
Now press and hold the power (on/off) button for 1 minute.
Now release the button and plug the printer back in.
Turn it on and see if the error clears.
Let me know how this goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Already tried that. By looking at the forums, it was the encoder strip that made me get error 5700. Now I've replaced it after cleaning, when I boot up the printer, the carriage bangs wildly to the left and then right, as if it's not reading the encoder strip. So I guess my question is how the hell do you aligh the encoder strip? Does it go through the carriage print head in some way? And if so, how do you remove the carriage?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
THere is no alignment required. If the print head is working it should align itself. Have you replaced the printhead yet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, all taken out and cleaned. I just don't know why the print carriage bangs right then left. Surely if it needs to read the encoder strip to know where it is there must be some way of aligning it?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
THere is noo alignment required. THere could also be something stuck in it have you tried blowing out the inside of the printer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, done that.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I am out of ideas so I will opt out and see if someone else can help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK thanks anyway, maybe someone has come across this actual problem...