Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

my camera is a Digital IXUS 70 and it is showing lens error.

my camera is a Digital IXUS 70 and it is showing 'lens error. the lens will not retract. Can you help me
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name isXXXXX look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
First let's see if the lens is simply off center.

To check that while holding the power button gently push the lens to the side.
Test this with each of the sides, if it is off center to one side doing this should get it to retract while holding the power button.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.

.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, that has not worked - is there anything else I can try - thank you

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.

Look directly at the lens is it leaning more to one side at all?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have looked at the lens - it does not seem to be leaning to one side

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I really hate to have to tell you this but unfortunately from what your description, I am sorry to say it is most likely a problem with the rubber runners that sit around the edges of the lens. These runners can be replaced but to do so you need to replace the entire lens. Any local camera, or electronics repair shop should be able to fix it but to do so they will replace the entire lens.

The price of the part can vary depending on shop and whether or not they can find a generic replacement so I would call around. Otherwise you can buy one from here: Click Here The labour cost would be about an hours worth the work at the shops rate. This rate is normally between £50 and £65 per hour anything more than that is to much. Due to the price of the repair some people do decide to replace the camera as it can be cheaper.

If you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only, not this site or your camera needing a new part. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had control over it needing a new part but unfortunately do not, so all I can do is give you honest and accurate information.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I appreciate your help and I understand that that an expensive repair job is required or replacement - I will look into all that - but will be without a camera for my holiday next week which is a shame - you have been very helpful and I will rate that accordingly

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX could have given you better news and I greatly appreciate the rating.
.