Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a MV530. It has been unused for several years, but

I have a MV530. It has been unused for several years, but in safe and climatically controlled conditions. Have replaced internal battery and recharged 2 power pack batteries. All functionality seems to be restored, with exception of filming. Screen remains blank, although tape runs. Previously recorded tapes will play back successfully. Help please
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name isXXXXX will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

An initial thought: is the lens cover removed? just in case it needs mentioning.

Given that tapes previously recorded will actually play back and show video, on the screen, then you obviously have a functioning screen and a functioning read head, but not necessarily a functioning write head.

So: you may need to try a tape drive head cleaning kit, appropriate for this sort of digital video camera - not anything or any procedure designed for an analog tape drive. (Do not touch either the read or the write heads with your fingers, of course, at any time.)

After that, if that doesn't help, it would likely be a matter of the write circuitry in the camcorder... a more advanced repair than you could undertake yourself, beyond doubt.