Steve G.
Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company.
329447

Hi have a Nikon D40 SLR camera which seems to have a problem

Hi have a Nikon D40 SLR camera which seems to have a problem taking pictures! This seems to be an intermittent problem rather than continuous although its happening more frequently now so I am not sure if its the settings or the camera. I have reset the camera as instructed in the manual but this hasn't helped. Whatever mode I am on the camera seems to 'stall' and make a clicking noise and wont take the picture. In the viewfinder in the bottom left corner it changes from iso auto [2.1]k with flash symbol to [r 11] and flash symbol when I try and depress the button to take the picture and it is then the clicking sound is heard....Can you help please?! Many thanks Emily
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need to gather some more information from you in order to help.

How are you resetting the D40?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is a small reset button between the usb and v-out (on the left hand side of the camera as you look at the screen.)

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
No. Try this. Find the two buttons that have green dots. Press and hold them together for 6 seconds.

Make sure the switch on the lens is set to A (or AF) and turn the top dial to Auto.

Then give it a try and let me know.

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi had tried that also but have tried again to no avail :(

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, does the camera autofocus when you press the shutter button down halfway?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it doesn't!

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
What lens is mounted? Do you have more than one lens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The one it came with....ed18-55mm 1:3.5 -5.6GII AF-S DX NIKKOR is what it says on the lense!

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, that is the kit lens.

Ok, and you have no other lens??

If not, remove the lens and put the camera into M

Look into the camera and you should see the mirror.

What happens when you press the shutter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No other lens, we can see the mirror, everything is blurred. When you press the shutter the following message appears on screen (with flash activated) ...flash is in TTL mode choose another setting or use a CPU lens.

IF you shut the flash and press the shutter it takes picture but all black.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so with no flash, the shutter DOES operate?

I need to be clear here.

Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, without the flash the shutter operates, with the flash we get that message.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, without the flash the shutter operates, with the flash we get that message, and the shitter doesn't operate.

Thanks,

Expert:  Steve G. replied 3 years ago.
Then I would have to think that the lens is at fault.

What I would do is go to your local high rd camera store and say that you are insterested in say a 18-135 or 18-200 lens for your Nikon, can you try one out.

Then see what happens.

Or if you know someone with Nikon glass, borrow theirs.

That's the only way to find out for sure.

Is that doable?

If so, come back when you have given it a try and let me know the outcome. This dialog can stay open indefinitley.

Steve
Steve G., Technician
Experience: VP of electronic repair company.