Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Panasonic fz62 flash not working on IA setting

Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It is possible that the light sensor is not saying that the ambient light is dim enough to require a flash activation.

Or, iA (intelligent Auto) mode is saying that the flash settings are not appropriate for a flash firing under the circumstances. If the ambient light is fairly bright (e.g. backlit if dim, or forelit if dim) this might be the case. The other modes may *force* the flash to fire, but iA may not judge it appropriate-?

Try testing this by taking an iA mode picture in very dim light, practically dark, indoors, and see what happens with the flash activation, I suggest first of all.

Is your Panasonic camera fairly new, or is it years or more old?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just took picture in dark cupboard, no flash activated. The camera is 6 months old

So at any rate the problem is not that of the light sensor level... seemingly. Or at any rate, not in iA Mode.

If it is 6 months old, you may put in a claim for warranty repair on it. (Which if the problem were not genuinely Panasonic's fault, you would have to pay for in full. So it's best to make sure of everything before trying that.)

Was there ever a time when iA Mode had the flash working in it, before this?

And would you mind trying a factory reset of the settings on the camera? you would lose all custom mode setups and such, but no pictures, and it might possibly revive the flash usage in iA Mode. If you would like to try this, let me know, and I will give you instructions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes flash did originally work on IA. Reset to factory mode is worth a try, please provide instructions. Thanks

The general settings reset is not readily findable in the documentation, that's why I have taken so long to get back to you.

In general terms, if you access the SETUP menu on your camera, you ought to find a RESET option in it which will reset many of the settings.

This RESET option is preceded in the menu by the 'NO.RESET' option, which is a much lesser reset indeed, and merely resets the numbering used to store files on the memory card or in memory.

Try the general RESET, if you can find it from these instructions. It might possibly alter the behavior of iA Mode. Let me know what happens, please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Morning, pleased to say eventually found reset in setting C2 under setup, 5th screen item 5, chose option to reset and flash is now working on IA setting. Thanks

That's good news, Janice. Thank you for letting me know.

Given that my advice to try a Factory Settings Reset has turned out OK, I would appreciate it if you could rate my Answer - favorably I would expect - so that I might be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX luck.