hsroy79
hsroy79, Other
Experience:  Camra Technician
34714361

I have a Canon Ixus 95 IS. The lens barrell will not retract

I have a Canon Ixus 95 IS. The lens barrell will not retract and the error message is "Lens Error restart camera" when I try to switch it off
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  hsroy79 replied 2 years ago.
Look carefully between the lens and the camera body for any sand, dirt or any damaged etc.Try turning the camera with the lens facing down and shake to dislodge anything stuck and try removing batteries and memory card, wait 5 minutes and refit the battery only and let me know the result...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pressing the on off button gives the same result. The stabilizer light winks green, there is an intermittent buzzing noise and then the same error message appears.

Expert:  hsroy79 replied 2 years ago.
Turn off the camera. Place it on the back with the lens facing up and take a look at the spacing between the lens and the lens housing. If you notice that the gap is not even all the way around the lens. This type of a problem usually occurs if the camera was dropped while the lens was extended. In such cases, the lens barrel was moved from its regular place and your goal would be to try and put it back into place. Simply - VERY GENTLY - press down the lens on the side where the gap is the biggest. You should hear a click as it pops back into place. Try powering the camera back on and let me know the result..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not effective.There is a slight movement in the lens but no click

Expert:  hsroy79 replied 2 years ago.
Press and hold the shutter button down, and at the same time press the power-on button. The idea is that the camera will try to autofocus while the lens is extending, hopefully seating the lens barrel guide pins back into their slots and let me know the result...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No movement in lens barrels and same beeps and error message

Expert:  hsroy79 replied 2 years ago.
Consider using a thin piece of paper or a sewing needle to help dislodge them. Pay particular care not to scratch your lens barrel with the needle. Also, I do not recommend probing too deeply around the lens barrel with the paper (don't go more than a 1 cm or 1/2 in). Particularly I do not recommend probing deeply around the most outer (largest) lens barrel gap, as you may dislodge the lens barrel dust gasket that's located just inside of that gap and let me know the result...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had a good look at the gap round both parts of the barrel with a jewellers optic and there is no sign of dust or sand . The gap between the two barrels is so small that it's difficult to get a piece of paper into the gap. Whilst the gap between the outer barrel and the body is slightly larger there is no obstruction that I can see or feel except in two opposing place that might be the pins you refer to

Expert:  hsroy79 replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately what you have described indicates that the problem seems to be with your camera internal lens mechanism thats why you are facing this type of problem....

Is your camera under warranty ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it's about 5 years old I think

Expert:  hsroy79 replied 2 years ago.
Then please don't send your camera to service center because the repairing cost is too high almost a new camera price. So if you buy a new camera then it is a good idea for you....
hsroy79, Other
Experience: Camra Technician