Engineer1010
Engineer1010, Camera Expert
Experience:  MS Electrical Engg.
16465236

Good afternoon The wife has a Cannon EOS 400D which hasnt

Good afternoon
The wife has a Cannon EOS 400D which hasn't been used for a while. She took the CF Card out and then had difficulty replacing it, once in she powered up the camera and had a view message problem with CF card? I have put two new Cf cards in to the camera but keep getting the same message.

When I looked in the slot at the pins in the bottom, one pin seems to be going across the gap horizontally

Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Engineer1010 replied 3 years ago.
I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today. Please Reply to me with doubts / questions till you are 100% satisfied.

The CF Card has female port ... and the CF Card slot has male pins as shown in sample pic below :

graphic

Do you mean that one of the pin in the slot is bent ?

Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Andy, there is only one slot on the wifes camera, comparing with the image there looks to be one of the pins going from left to right at an angle and it looks to be horizontal to the base of the slot

The image is not of your camera ... it is just a sample pic of CF card slot.

So you mean that all the pins are vertically pointing outwards and only 1 pin is bent horizontally ?

Andy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes that's correct

As per the symptoms and things you have explained its evident that the pin(s) in the card slot are damaged and it needs to be repaired.

Your best option is to take the cam to a local electronic / camera repair shop where they can try to straighten the bent pin. If they can't then they will have to replace the card slot.

The pin can get bent if you insert the card incorrectly ... and this is a known drawback of CF card slots.

If camera is less than a year old, then you should get it repaired by Canon to keep the warranty active.

I am very sorry for giving you bad news, but unfortunately this is the only honest answer.

Let me know if you need further information via the REPLY TO EXPERT button

Please go ahead and RATE this answer with (Good / Excellent) SMILEY face so that I get credited for my answer from this website.

Thanks and take care!
Andy