Richard, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience working on all forms of electronics and cameras both film and digital.
46422908

Canon MV530I, has been in a cupboard for many

Canon MV530I, has been in a cupboard for many many years along with 2 batteries, when it ejects a tape it chews it up,under a powerful light everything is spotless, 2 rollers seem to move about a lot,is it for the bin then. Bill XXXXXXX............

Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Hi. My nsme is Rick and I am a digital camera professional.
I would be happy to help you with this. Are the rollers you are refering to the pinch rollers that grab the tape?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

with the recorder upside down and looking inside, slightly wiggle the machine the 2 rollers nearest to me move about not a great deal mind you, and when i withdraw the cassette it forms a loop...... the 2 cassettes are old as well,

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
OK Bill I know what you are refering to. What has happened is over years the tensioners on those rollers has become weak and no longer are able to control the tape. This is what is causing it to chew up the tapes. While this problem can be fixed the cost of having the rollers and tensioners replaced would cost you almost as much as a new machine over here and I am sure it would not be any cheaper where you are. You could try a new tape but I really doubt it would make any difference at all. From a cost effective standpoint I am afraid it is bin time as you put it.