Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

My usually reliable Canon EOS 350D camera has developed an

Customer Question

My usually reliable Canon EOS 350D camera has developed an intermittant fault.
It does not take the picture and shows 'Fault 99'. By reinstalling the battery it sometimes, but not always, corrects. However, after only a few more shots the fault reoccurs.
The camera is fitted with a Canon EFS 18-55mm lens which was supplied with the camera, and both are eight years old. I do all my shooting in fully authomatic mode, but with the flash disengaged. What is going on and can you please help me?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The Fault 99 error is somewhat non-specific and can refer to many different things.

Try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

Please tell me the maker and model # ***** your camera.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. The camera is a Canon EOS 350D (described in my original question!)

2. The camera is 8 years old (also mentioned in my original question!)

3. The main battery is also 8 years old and the reserve battery 6 years old. The reserve battery has only been installed twice. When I charge the batteries I usually only charge until the green light appears on the charger. Do you advocate a longer charge?

4. The camera has nor received any severe shocks nor has it been used in any extremes of climate or conditions.

5. As far as I can see, the battery terminals are clean.