Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I have a Canon Digital IXUS 870 IS. I am getting an error

I have a Canon Digital IXUS 870 IS. I am getting an error message

Lens error, restart camera

I have taken out the battery and and replaced it but still get the sam e message

Please can you help?

Lynda Foster
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
Is the lens stuck extended?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Was it dropped? If you turn it on do you hear the lens trying to extend?
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes and I think it was accidently squeezed

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Darn I was afraid you were going to say that. I really hate to have to tell you this but, Unfortunately what you are describing normally means the zoom unit needs to be replaced. It is what extends the lens and comes with the lens itself. You can get the part from here: Click Here This is the only seller I know of that still has them. It would take about 30 minutes to an hour for a tech to replace it at their shop rate. Most Shops charge between £55 and £70 per hour

Due to the price some people do decide to replace the machine if it is more than a year old if you decide to go that route I would be happy to help you find a replacement. If this machine is under a year old Canon will normally cover the part under warranty as long as you do not tell them it was dropped or squeezed. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not your Canon or this site.
.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought that might be the answer and the camera is quite old. Please could you recommend a similiar model that is simple and easy to use

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 3 years ago.
.
Sure I would be happy to. I use the Lumix models myself so would recommend that. They are made by Panasonic, this one I would recommend which is very easy to use: Click Here The image quality on it should also be a little better than your Canon. If you want to stick with them any PowerShot model would be fine however all of their cameras are prone to this lens issue so I would be wary about that. If you have any questions or need any help following these steps click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don't forget to leave a positive rating for my help it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not your Canon or this site.
.