Richard, Camera Repair
Experience:  Camera Repairman
32989067

I have been using EOS Utility for remote operation of my Canon

I have been using EOS Utility for remote operation of my Canon EOS 60D. Suddenly the camera shut down, and now will not power up again. I have checked battery, memory card, and tried a different lens - but camera still 'dead'.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

The first thing to rule out is the battery itself and if this has failed.

First, if you connect it to the charger, does it show as charging?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it shows as charging, and having left it on charge for some time it is indicating increased charge - but camera still dead.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, how long has the battery been out of the camera Paul?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

For an hour or so.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, put it back in now as this would be enough for the battery to have enough charge to start the camera, and tell me if the camera now starts please Paul.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, still dead.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the issue as the mainboard in the Camera that has failed.

We rule out the other causes for this.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the canon to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. That sounds like bad news, as camera out of warranty.

I have some questions:

1. What is the mainboard?

2. What could have caused it to fail, and could it be related to using EOS Utility for tethered shooting - or is this just coincidental?

3. What sort of price are Canon likely to charge to repair it, very roughly?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No problem

The mainboard is a logic board that has all the components on it. All complex electronic devices have this. It is where the capacitors, processors, resistors ect reside.

2) It was not the EOS utility. It is a faulting component either bad quality from the factory and took time to deteriorate, or the camera suffered a shock or water damage to cause this. Generally its bad quality (bad luck)

3) Roughly its hard to say, as it depends on the availability of the mainboard and regional factors for the repairer, but about 200-400. Really Paul when it is out of warranty it is best to replace the entire camera in regards ***** ***** (as you only get a short warranty on the repair). But first get a quote and you can judge from there.

Feel free to ask if you would like more information please.

Richard, Camera Repair
Experience: Camera Repairman