Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Hi, I have a new Canon Powershot SX600 HS and it is used primarily

Customer Question

Hi, I have a new Canon Powershot SX600 HS and it is used primarily for taking photos of my artwork which I then upload to Blogger. This artwork is for sale so it's important that the images are really good. I am having some difficulty with taking very sharp images without the camera picking up the background weave of the canvas. What would be your advice for taking pics that avoid that?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I don't quite understand what 'the background weave' would be - are your photos of paint-on-canvas artwork, or some other type?

I need to know this one point before advising you. Please let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Russell, it's a difficult one. I am an artist. I paint on all kinds of "surfaces" usually with oil or acrylic paint. When I use hardboard as a surface there is no "grain" to it because I use the smooth side, prepare it with gesso (flat and smooth) and then do the painting. Often though I buy what they call "stretched canvas" or canvas stuck onto a board backing. This canvas is natural material - cotton, jute, or whatever, and it has a "weave" (it's essentially a natural woven fabric). The weave is tight because art suppliers either stretch it onto wooden bars or they stick it onto a board, but it is still visible if you look closely. The camera is showing every thread of the fabric weave as well as what I have painted on it. I was trying to think of a way to send you an example of what the camera is doing but I don't know how you are going to view it - that is, which browser you will use. The problem will only be apparent if you are using Internet Explorer, but many of my potential customers will be using that very browser. If I could edit the problem out through Photoshop then that would be fine and I could make sure that my stored pics are clean and good to be used and sent on for any purpose. Otherwise it is important that the image I take with the camera is good at that initial stage so i wondered if you might know what to do. Do you want me to try to send you an example and would you be able to look at it in Internet Explorer (vers 10 or 11)? If you look at it in any other type of browser you will not see a problem because the other browsers "correct" the quality of the image before displaying it.

By all means send me an image - words are not sufficient to illustrate such subtleties, I doubt.

I will be viewing the image in Mozilla Firefox first, but can also view it with other Windows applications such as MS Paint.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you get the image? It is saved as 2298 x 3096 pixels.

I see that the texture of the canvas does indeed stand out.

Perhaps you want the picture to be more 'soft-focus', so that the weave/texture of the canvas does not show much?

Or perhaps low-resolution settings would have much the same effect?

I will give you specific advice on how to achieve that effect, *if* you confirm that effect is what you are looking for.