Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

The manual focus end-stop on my Canon EF-S 18-135 zoom lens

The manual focus end-stop on my Canon EF-S 18-135 zoom lens is slightly out, and therefore annoying as one expects to be able to hit the end-stop at infinity. With this lens, one has to go to the end-stop then turn back slightly.

On older SLR lenses one could peel off the rubber grip from the focus ring, release the 4 mounting screws, re-align the focus ring against the stop, then re-tighten the screws to take out any misalignment. The EF-S 18-135 however appears to have a solid grip and no visible adjustment points.

Any suggestions please.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

This is not uncommon among todays lenses. The cure is to adjust the infinity focus by moving the front lens grouping either forward or back until the image is sharp when the lens is at its infinity stop. Some lenses have a "ramped", adjustment built into their construction. Others will require the use of shims under the front grouping to bring the infinity stop to its desired position. In any case, the adjustment will require removing the front name decal from around the front lens group to access the lens. If the outer rim of the lens group is slotted, with screws holding it in place, simply loosen the screws and adjust the infinity point to your liking.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I prefer to use manual focus at all times. Given that the lens also has a predominant motorised focus system within it, is shimming likely to be beyond the capabilities an 'the ordinary man on the street' such as myself and require a technician's services ?

Whilst I have sorted out manual lenses over the past 40 year in photography, I've not worked on a motorised lens previously.

Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Shimming the lens grouping requires the use of specific shims of a thickness in the thousandths of a millimeter.

Looking at the parts diagram for this lens, it doesn't appear to have any shims listed and it appears to have the slotted adjustments around the outer edge of the front grouping. Can you can remove the name decal and verify this for me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As the focussing ring is solid I was anticipating that I might have to remove the front decal to reveal any securing screws, but regrettably I am currently at work and will not be able to check this out until tonight.

Having never used this website before I don't know if the thread will expire when I log off or whether I can save it and continue tomorrow. If the former please confirm and I will rate your services for you and quit, if the latter I will advise my findings tomorrow.

Either way, you have my e-mail address I think.

Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

You can respond to this post any time you like, as long as the thread hasn't been closed manually.