Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Hi, I have a Canon IXUS 220 HS compact digital camera and

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Canon IXUS 220 HS compact digital camera and use the video function a great deal to video dance sequences at dance classes and events. When I bought the camera the videos seemed quite clear and focussed and were especially good in low light. However over the past six months the autofocus of the camera whilst videoing seems to be going haywire with the dancers moving in and out of focus. Admittedly I track them with the zoom control as they come near me or move further away. (This zoom control incidentally was a lot smoother and slower than the zoom control on a previous IXUS 6, a thing I appreciated.)
I've checked this problem on the Internet and it seems a lot of people are having exactly the same problem with the IXUS 220 HS. Is there a quick fix for this or is it a repair/replace job?
Do the later IXUS compact models have the same problem?
Thanks in advance.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the autofocus seems to be getting worse in its performance, then your camera is suffering some sort of progressive failure that needs repairing, no doubt.

If your camera is newer than one year from its purchase date, then it will be repaired by Canon for free under warranty terms, I think. While it is true that your camera's parts might doubtfully just need internal cleaning and adjustment rather than replacement, I think that would also be done under warranty provisions.

Contact Canon at 1-800-OK-CANON (with proof of purchase date in hand) to put in a failed-within-warranty claim.

If your Canon camera is over one year old, then you would have to pay for the repair yourself. In which case, you could start the send-for-repair process on this page:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer?pageKeyCode=onlineRepairLanding

The RESET ALL button was just the thing to try, I think... but it has apparently failed, so it is not a matter of obscure settings that might affect operation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your reply was prompt, Russell. However it did not give me any expert advice other than the information I gave to you. If the advice had solved the problem or provided a workaround or if you could have told me that the camera definitely had a problem, then that would have been better.

Also on sending the camera back to Canon, as I live in the UK then information about sending it back or contacting somewhere in the States doesn't really help. That might not be your fault as I logged in on the UK side and the question might have been transferred to you without your knowing the geographical origin of the problem.

I'm sorry my Answer wasn't quite thoroughly on-target. I may have overlooked the fact that USA information does not help you in the UK.

The camera definitely has a problem, I think. Though whether it is a matter of defective design coming out, or just a commonly occurring 'breakage' in this model or line of camera, I cannot say.

This page
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/37812394
puts the matter interestingly, that the autofocus tends to 'hunt' in an unstable way. Autoadjusting autofocus may be a mistake in design, perhaps, in that it is only driven to change in response to certain changes in central sharpness in either a way that is too 'broad' i.e. has too broad a range of bad focus before it readjusts (and thus can stay in noticeably wrong focus for a while) or ruled by an algorithm that is too approximate... and this might be improved in future versions.

Or your camera may be 'broken', as I said. I'm inclined that way. Sending it to Canon UK for repair is the only way to settle that issue though.

Canon UK and its send-in repair service may be done through information provided here:
http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/Services_Locator/index.aspx

which has two primary items for your attention, first of all a map with two UK/Ireland-located service center locations on it, secondly a Repair Information link lower on the page.

I hope this information fills in what was missing in my earlier-offered Answer.

If this answers your question adequately, please rate my Answer - favorably this time, I hope - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your case. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Russell,

I read your answer and tried out the camera again last night at the dance class. The information from the dpreview gave me some sort of answer and the camera did work a little better. Whether that is luck, or I worked it better or the solution in the review was effective I will only find out in time.

I'm thinking of buying the IXUS 265, the latest version whoich is supposed to have IS etc. This might be better value than fixing a cmera that is already three years old.

I've marked your answer as good but not excellent as I had to rummage through the review to find a possible solution.

John Reddington

Thank you for rating my Answer favorably to any extent.

Good luck with the new camera purchase.