Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

I have a Cannon EOS40D and have been using it with an EFS 17-85mm

I have a Cannon EOS40D and have been using it with an EFS 17-85mm lens.

The camera has been displaying a message saying that the lens and camera connection need cleaning. I have done this but the camera will only take pictures indoors. It does not seem to like being exposed to light and keeps displaying the clean message.

I have tried an older lens on the camera and that works fine, so I know it is the lens at fault.
Any suggestions?

Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Hi. My name is***** a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

What you are experiencing is usually caused by a failure in the elecreonic diaphram mechanism within the lens. The way to tell for sure is to try the lens on another body or try a known good lens on the 40D.

Damaged power diadhram units are the #1 cause for the malfunction you are describing.

This really isn’t a user serviceable problem and should be repaired by a qualified technician. Your best bet would be to check locally for a camera repair shop in your area. If you need assistance locating a shop near you, please let me know and I'll locate one for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer.

I will take your advice but do not know of any such repair service locally. I live on the Welsh/Shropshire borders and would welcome any suggestions.

Happy to leave you a positive response.

Regards Arthur