RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

Canon EOS450D Camera Flashes but does not take any pictures.

Canon EOS450D
Camera Flashes but does not take any pictures. this is on any setting
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.

First, the one thing that even experienced photographers miss is that a single small spot on the lens can cause the problem that you are having. Carefully clean the lens. Depending on the environment that you are shooting in, a haze can build up on the lens and cause incorrect focus. In AF mode, the shutter will not fire if the camera does not achieve correct focus.

Next, reset the camera using the instructions below. Then try to take a few test shots.

graphic

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If, and only if my answer to your question is helpful and you are Satisfied with it, please leave Positive Feedback. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The reset instructions are not relevant to my camera, these options are NOT available in any of my setting menu's

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
You have to put the mode dial in a creative mode like M (manual) or P (program) for the menu options to show.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Apologies. Have completed this step but still unable to shoot in AF mode, can shoot on MF thanks

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
OK. Does the camera attempt to focus in AF (lens hunts back and forth), or is there no motion at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

flash will go rapidly lens doesnt focus in AF

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
Does the camera focus normally in AF in bright daylight, without the flash active?

Do you have access to another lens to test the camera with?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Russ,

Does not auto focus without flash, same as with flash. Zoom lens works on both auto and manual focus

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.
Everything that you have described indicated that the lens is the cause of the problem. Each lens has its own internal focus motor that receives powerand focus data through a ribbon cable that connects from the contacts on the mount. Either the motor has failed or the ribbon cable has broken. In either case, the lens, I assume that it is your 50mm prime lens, will require service or replacement. A repair centre can be located at the link below.

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/Services_Locator/index.aspx