Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Canon 30D (8 years old) and after taking some photos

Customer Question

I have a Canon 30D (8 years old) and after taking some photos this morning I removed the lens to clean the CMOS sensor. Whilst looking for the 'sensor cleaning' on the screen everything went blank. The main battery is fully charged. I renewed the small date/time battery. and when I turn on I can see the red light by the Quick Control Dial come on for a second or two. After all this the camera goes off again.Any ideas?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is the main battery in question?

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The battery is eight (8) years old, but it has never given any problems. It was fully charged when the camera switched off.

The camera has never been dropped or subjected to any shocks.

No excess temperatures (+/-) applied to camera.

No exposure to undue humidity or water.

No exposure to grit, etc.

I'm glad to hear that the camera has been treated well.

I must warn you that eight years, for a rechargeable battery, is an extraordinarily long lifetime.

Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

In short, I advise you to replace the battery, as unlikely as it may sound.

Be sure to charge it up fully, of course.

After that (*if* that fails to revive the camera), you would need to decide between having the camera serviced, and having it repaired.

Let me know what happens, please, and what you decide (if it comes to a decision.) Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As a last resort I bought a new CF card this morning and tried again, but nothing happens, i.e. the camera is not powering up. I have tested the rechargeable battery and it shows full voltage, however, maybe the age of the battery is such that I ma not getting the Amperage.

I think the next logical step is - as you have suggested - to renew the battery. If that works fine otherwise I shall have to send it to Canon for their opinion.

Thank you for your assistance which is appreciated. If you are interested in further findings do let me know how I can send you an email.

Harry

Thanks for the payment and bonus, Harry. I appreciate hearing back from you.

If you want to let me know the outcome, please do - this case is not yet closed, so just posting a reply at your convenience would do. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Regrettably, the camera remains dead after installing a new and fully charged battery. I shall have to send it to Canon for opinion and repairs.

Regards,

Harry

I'm sorry to hear that.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer?pageKeyCode=onlineRepairLanding

is the page to go to, in order to start the Canon repair process. Good luck, and thanks again.