Richard, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience working on all forms of electronics and cameras both film and digital.
46422908

On my Canon EOS 500 the AE lock does not appear to work - the

On my Canon EOS 500 the AE lock does not appear to work - the * symbol never appears. Is this a common problem?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My nsme is Rick and I am a digital camera professional.

I would be happy to help you with this. Can you do the following and tell me what happens.

Lets remove the battery from the camera and then press and hold the power (on/off) button (or slide switch to on) for 1 minute. Than release the button, put a fully charged battery back in and see if it fixes it. . While you have the battery out clean the terminals in the compartment and also remove the storage card if you have one in the camera. You may also want to change the card if you have another one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for reply
I've tried that but nothing happened. Going to try and leave it overnight - charging a battery up even more.....
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
OK let it charge overnight and see if it helps. I don't think it will make a difference but let me know if it helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No that didn't do anything
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
OK Andy, thanks. I have seen this before on this camera but it is not a common problem. What has happened is that the circuit on the cameras main control board has developed a short and this is what is causing the AE not to work. If your camera is less than 1 year old the repair for it will be done by Canon under the warranty. If not then it will cost you about $125 to have the board replaced locally and about $50 more to have Canon do it.
I am sorry for the bad news but if I can help further with this please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome Andy. Please do the ratings and do have a great day.