Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a G1X, which has frozen

Customer Question

which I have a G1X,  has suddenly frozen. When turned on, the display flashes for a fraction of a second, then turns off. The green indicator light flashes continuously. It takes photos, but there appears to be no exposure control. The review button works, but no other buttons except to change from one picture to the next, by rotating the dial. I've tried putting a fresh battery in and changing the memory card.

I was working in a fairly dusty environment when this happened.

Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the environment was dusty, that could cause harm... but usually, some other kind than what you describe.

I advise you to do as follows:

Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

The replacement battery you put in needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

Please tell me the maker and model # of your camera.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

The problem you have may possibly be owing to static discharge. Check as to whether you are wearing woolen clothing, or anything worsted or woven like a sweater, or perhaps standing on or setting the camera upon something glassy or a sheet of vinyl etc. All these can conduce to static electricity... a rest, overnight, without batteries in it, may help with your camera's problem.

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks. (I may have further advice for you, depending upon what happens.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have tried all the above- still not working

Let me know, please. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Camera is 2yrs 5 months old.

Not dropped or shocked

Operated in fairly hot conditions in Belize earlier this year- but doubt if over 100F or 85% humidity.

Has been subjected to a few raindrops, but not got wet.

That much dampness, that much heat and humidity (in a tropical place) accounts perfectly well for the screen's failure. It is (it seems to me from many cases) a common consequence of getting slightly wet and hot and damp/humid, unfortunately.

Your camera will require repair.
Or replacement.
The choice is yours to make.

But if you choose repair, be aware that you will have to pay for the repairs, for the camera is out of warranty for sure. (Unless you bought an extended warranty with it, perhaps.)

The place to go online for repairs is
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer?pageKeyCode=onlineRepairLanding
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

screen still works for review, so screen is ok. Seems a firmware problem? Is there a method of resetting the camera to factory settings without using the menu (which doesn't come up when the button is pressed)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
There is no way to hard reset without using the menu system, unfortunately.

(I couldn't answer your latest query in time, because I was asleep at that hour, being in the East Coast time zone of the US.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

please close this 'justanswer'.

I have no power to close this question, as a JustAnswer.com Expert.

Contact Customer Support at JustAnswer.com with your concern - they will be able to take care of it with reasonable promptness:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us