Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Canon 550D with an EFS 10 - 22 zoom lens. The distant

I have a Canon 550D with an EFS 10 - 22 zoom lens. The distant part of almost any picture I take with it is out of focus on the left side while something the same distance away on the right side is sharp. This tends to be more pronounced when I am not square on to the subject.
I sent the camera away for repair (twice) and I am told that all the calibrations have been checked and there is nothing wrong with either the camera or the lens. The engineer sent me some sample photos he took with the camera and they are sharp on both sides.
Yet the problem persists. I gad the same problem with my previous camera, another Canon. What can I do?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I would like to ask - if you don't mind - whether, even when one side of the preview image looks unfocused, do the actual photos taken look unfocused themeselves ? take such a photo, review it, and see.

I am thinking that if the camera has been repaired and has had photos in good condition taken, that perhaps your eyesight induces the problem, somehow, possibly owing to uncorrected astigmatism - ? - I am not at all sure of this, so please forgive me if I'm wrong. A photo taken with the camera should prove the point.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I sent photos to the engineer and he could see the problem in those I sent him. I am sending you a typical example. It's is only objects in the distance that are out of focus.

In the example the left is out of focus while the centre and right are sharp. It is always the left.

Thanks for the picture, it illustrates the problem admirably.

The lamp-posts on the left illustrate a possible cause of the problem: the left edges are blue-tinged, the right edges are red-tinged.

(There may be a trace of that effect on the right, also.)

I suspect that you have a defective lens. When you sent the camera in for repair, did you include the lens assembly? or not? (I believe it is standard procedure to not include the lens when sending in a Canon camera for repair, just the body of the camera being sent.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I sent the lens - the photos they took were using that lens

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have sent 3 more pictures. The first (9244) was taken by the technician to demonstrate that there was nothing wrong with the focus, And indeed there is nothing wrong with that one. The second is another taken by me demonstrating the problem. The poor focus is generally when I am not looking square on to the subject as with this one. The third picture (Camden3) is looking square on to the subject. No focus problem there.

Are you using AutoFocus to take the pictures that are defective as well as the ones that are OK?
If so, then that would explain the matter... autofocus may be giving a 'general average' focus, or focusing on whatever's nearest, or some such. You may need to change settings, not necessarily away from autofocus so much as just to narrow the field of focus or the like (the 'focus area'.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I always use autofocus out of doors and most others. Camden3 is on manual focus. Tell me more about narrowing the field of focus and I will give it a try. What do I need to do. I am a technology dummy, still more at home with film cameras

If it is what you are suggesting why is it always the left side that is out of focus,

It is something to try that might affect the focus problem, I think.

Here's something that I wasn't quite aware of before I looked it up - hopefully this cumbersome URL address will be usable:

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFlag=false&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=34809

which page points out that autofocus uses a number of points to establish focus.

graphic

So, press the button shown.
Then, use the arrow buttons to select the AF point you want to use.
(Or, turn the 'gear' dial to select it.)
Then press SET. (Pressing SET a second time will return to the previous use-all-points autofocus mode.)

Then if you selected the center point on the screen for autofocusing, you just need to press the button half-down while aiming the camera with the subject centered.

That might be tried, since Manual focus doesn't seem to have a problem. Tell me what result you get, please.
Russell H., Technician
Experience: Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.