Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Samsung Digimax L80 camera. Overexposure on still images, but

Samsung Digimax L80 camera. Overexposure on still images, but NOT in movie mode. Could this be a shutter problem??
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The problem is almost certainly not the 'shutter'. I would surmise that a setting (such as white balance or f-stop etc.) is affecting the exposure of still images. I advise you to check your settings. If necessary - and if you are willing to do so - a factory settings reset of your camera (followed by some test pictures taken) would be the best check you could do on the function of your camera.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Russell, thanks for your response. Not sure of the age, probably 5 or 6 years. With regards ***** ***** operating environment, the answer is no to all your questions, except it will have been used at the beach occasionally. I have tried to check settings, but must admit I got confused and gave up! Any help gratefully received! Bill

Then the camera is definitely out of warranty - and has had a good working lifetime.

But at that age, the camera is likely to have a problem, rather than just settings that need changing.

But to eliminate settings as the problem, try a hard reset to factory settings as follows:

In the SETUP menu, scroll down to 'RESET', choose that.
Then choose YES.

That will reset all camera settings to their factory defaults. Immediately try shooting some more pictures, in moderate lighting. If they do not turn out overexposed, good. If they do, clean the front surface of the camera (except the lens) in case some sort of light-level sensor is obscured or fogged, thus leading to greater exposures than needed.
Then try a few more photos.

At which point, if the overexposure is still there, you might be well advised to replace the camera (at least for stills, if video still works.)

If this answers your question adequately, please rate my Answer - favorably I would hope - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks.