simitpatel
simitpatel, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been working with Digital Cameras for over 7 years.
15190142

Canon EOS 700d 50mm 1.8 Lens Hama UV filter I find that

Canon EOS 700d 50mm 1.8 Lens Hama UV filter
I find that I get occasional, inexplicable colour spots/flares on pictures. Am I doing something?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  simitpatel replied 3 years ago.
simitpatel :

Hello. Please let me know when you are ready.

simitpatel :

Just type into the box below and press enter to reply.

Customer:

simitpatel :

The flare and colour spots are going to definitely be caused by that UV filter, especially if you are seeing them during backlit situations.

simitpatel :

Basically, the bright light reflects, a little bit, off the UV filter, creating a ghosting effect. You will see it more in backlit situations because the bright light will ghost onto a darker part of the picture making it easier to see.

simitpatel :

The ghosting is likely there on brighter pictures, but it's going to be nearly impossible to see because the ghost image is sitting on top of a brighter part of the picture.

Customer:

I'm not using a lens hood would this help reduce the flaring?

simitpatel :

Maybe a little bit. But probably not much. Your best bet would be to remove the UV filter during backlit shots.

simitpatel :

Please let me know if you need any more help with it. If I answered your question, please don't forget to rate it positively.

simitpatel :

Any bonuses are greatly appreciated.

Customer:

I wondered if that would be your suggestion. Will give it a go. I thought I'd done something dreadful and damaged the sensor.

simitpatel :

No. Nothing quite that serious luckily. You have a great day. Please don't forget to rate my answer positively.

Customer: