Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

Canon G12. Lens will not detract and I get a message saying

Customer Question

Canon G12. Lens will not detract and I get a message saying Lens Error, Will shut down Automatically, Restart Camera. Lots of buzzing from inside and lens attempts to move but does the same thing everytime. It's not been droped and it's never used in a dusty or dirty environment so I don't think dirt has got in. Any suggestions please??
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
If you look straight at the lens does it looked centered?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it looks centralised
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That could mean you need a new part then, just in case lets check anyway just in case because not being centered can cause this.
While holding the power button gently push the lens to the side.

Test this with each of the 4 sides, if it is off center to one side doing this should get it to retract while holding the power button.
If you hear a click while doing it do not worry that is normal.

If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried as u suggested but still doesn't work. The motor is trying to work and the lens moves slightly but that's it
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn that is not a good sign, how old is the camera?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2 to 3 yrs. I used it just yesterday and it was fine.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn unless you have an extended warranty it is no longer covered, Unfortunately this is an issue that comes up randomly due to rubber runners in the zoom unit (lens) getting stuck which is why it was working yesterday. When that happens usually the lens is not centered which is why I had you check that before anything else. I really hate to tell you this but you are indeed going to require a new part. You can not replace just the runners though in order to fix this the lens usually needs to be replaced. This is the only seller I have found that has one available they are in the USA but ship to Europe: Click Here

A local camera shop may be able to get one cheaper. You may want to remove and reseat the current lens as well just to be sure. If you have never done it before though you would want a technician to do it. If done improperly you can further damage the camera. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience: Years of experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was worried that may be the case. Is there any instruction to remove and reseat the current lens? I'm an engineer by trade and confident with such matters as long as I have instructions. I've repaired pc's, iPads and iPhones in the past so I'm not phased by the complexity of such actions.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Unfortunately no I do not have one for this model. It should be similar to the G10 however which there is a video of here: Click Here If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I'll take a look. Thanks Freddy
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and if you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.