Rick
Rick, Technician
Experience:  I'm a photographic equipment technician with over 25 years in the business
47133069

I have had a Canon EOS 400D for a few years now but apart from

I have had a Canon EOS 400D for a few years now but apart from holidays and family occasions I have not had time to use it seriously. When I retired I decided to take photography more seriously and I am enjoying it. I have however comeacross one problem.
I have three lenses. The Canon EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, a Sigma 50mm 1:2.8 DG MACRO which up to now have been without problem. The third lens is a Tamron AF 70-300mm1:4-5.6 tele-macro. As I began to use the latter on a regular basis I occasionally got an error message numbered err99 stating shooting is not possible. Turn the power switch to off and on again or re install the battery. It appears to occur when I am using the lens to zoom onto a subject. It happenend quite often last week when we visited an animal safari park. Is there something I am doing wrong or could it be that under certain circumstances the lens is not compatible with the camera?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m a camera repair technician with over 20 years in the business and I'll be glad to help you with your question today.

Error code "99" is a general error code that simply means something is

wrong. The camera does store specific internal error codes but it takes special software available only to Canon repair shops to read them.

The problem you are experiencing is usually caused by a damaged or defective flexible ribbon cable that connects the diaphram unit to the lenses circuit board. These are designed to flex with the lens as it extends. However, they do have a limit and will crack and break eventually needing to be replaced.

This really isn’t a user serviceable problem and should be repaired by a qualified technician. You may want to check locally for a camera repair shop in your area, or, if you need assistance finding a shop, please let me know and I'll locate one for you.

The website link for Tamron service in the UK is :

http://www.tamron.eu/uk/service/product-assistance/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Rick,

thanks for that. From your past experience can you tell what I should be expecting to pay for this repair. Are there any shops left that do their own repairs in or near Alnwick, Northumberland. Should I consider the purchase of a second hand replacement.

regards

Paul

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Repair costs will vary from shop to shop and are usually most expensive when done by the factory. As far as the cost of the repair, you'll need to contact a few shops for estimates. Below is a link to a directory of repair shops, one of which should be in your area and able to help you.

http://www.acecam.com/uk-camera-repair.html