Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have an EOS 400 D camera. Recently it has started showing

I have an EOS 400 D camera. Recently it has started showing error code 99, not consistently but frequently; as instructed on the camera it normally clears by turning the camera on and off and, on occasions, I have had to do this more than once. Also, on one occasion, I had to remove the battery and reinstall it.
Can you advise please
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The 'error 99' is basically a non-specific error, in a Canon EOS camera.

So something is wrong with the camera, but the camera is not sure what it is, pretty much.

Possibly your camera may be nearing the end of its useful lifetime... but that depends upon some factors I would like to ask about:

- How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

- How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use?

- Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
- Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
- Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

- Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, the camera is about ten years old; it was my daughters so I don't know the purchase date.

The batteries are probably the same age as the camera; I have two and interchange them when one requires recharging.

No the camera has not been dropped.

The camera has only been operated in normal temperatures. It has never been wet apart from slight drizzle which was immediately wiped off; that was some years ago.

The camera has been operated in a sandy environment but, again , not recently.

10 years is an impressive amount of time for a digital camera to last, for sure. My impression is that the average lifetime of an average digital camera would be more like 4 or 5 years.

Batteries that are about 5 years of use old are old indeed. It might doubtfully be the batteries starting to age that is provoking the error, but it is more likely to be the camera's age itself, plus a little exposure to damp and grit... which tells on such devices over time.

Whether a camera that old is worth repairing is up to you. But if you think it worthwhile, try replacing the battery with a new one. The new replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

Also, try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

If you wish, after trying the above, to have the camera sent out for repair, go to
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer?pageKeyCode=onlineRepairLanding

Let me know what you think, and what happens, please.

If this answers your question adequately, please rate my Answer - favorably I hope - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.