RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I have a Canon EOS 1200D with zoom lens EF-S18-55mm f/3.5.6

I have a Canon EOS 1200D with zoom lens EF-S18-55mm f/3.5.6 lll bought a month ago especially for an online photographic course which is now ongoing.
In Tv mode the f number on the display flashes, and although the LCD display is functioning while the camera focuses, when the shutter goes the display goes black. In playback mode the camera displays the Shutter speed and f number on a black rectangle. I thought maybe the ISO was set too low (100) but altering it to 200 then 400 made no difference. The camera is working on Auto and Av mode. Downloading to the computer no image has been recorded. hope you can help.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 3 years ago.

The aperture indicator will flash if you are outside of the range for capturing a reasonable image. Just to put things in perspective, put the camera in auto, under the same lighting conditions and without changing anything else (ISO or EV), and check the aperture and shutter speed. When you go to TV shutter priority you are limited by the maximum lens opening. So, if in Auto your shutter speed is 125 and aperture is f8, and your lens is an f4, when you go to shutter priority you can only increase the shutter speed until the aperture reaches f4 since the lens cannot open any wider to let in any more light to compensate for the faster shutter speed. The aperture indicator should flash beyond this point. You can compensate by increasing the ISO setting (sensitivity of the image sensor).

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If, and only if my answer to your question is helpful and you are Satisfied with it, please leave Positive Feedback. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Russ, I've lost the light now but I will try again in the morning and see if this resolves the problem and get back to you.

Penny

Expert:  RUSSTING replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the update.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the problem has been resolved now, thanks for your advice. I had a bit of a sleepless night over the problem, off to wake myself up with a very large coffee!

Penny