Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have had a Canon EOS 7D from new. The battery is fully charged

I have had a Canon EOS 7D from new. The battery is fully charged but when I press the flash button, the built-in flash doesn't pop up. Is there anything I can try to get it to work?
Roger W
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have changed the batteries (both fully charged).

Have cleaned terminals with alcohol.

Have set camera to CA and Automatic with lens cap on and tried shutter and manual flash button

Camera has not been dropped, or been in very high or low temperatures. No sand on or in the camera body.

Tried various lenses.

Please tell me what the age of the camera is - measured from its date of purchase ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been unable to find the original paperwork for the body which has the serial number:

###-##-####/p>
I don't really need accurate information - just a vague idea of when the camera body was bought. Roughly the year (and if possible the month, though that's not necessarily needed) when it was bought, please. Thanks!