Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Fujifilm Finepix F80EXR camera. When you point at

Customer Question

I have a Fujifilm Finepix F80EXR camera. When you point at the subject, all is well, but when you release the shutter it goes out of focus and in the image is blurred. If you remove the battery and replace it, all is well for a few shots and then the problem returns. I'm baffled - can anyone help?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've cleaned the coñtacts and fully charged the battery, but the fault persists. The battery indicator says it iss fully charged. The camera is fairly new and the battery has only been charged about 5 or 6 times. I don't think its been damaged. It's my wife's and she is very careful with it and keeps it in a protective case. Do you have any other suggestions?

Could this be a software issue?

It can't be a 'software' issue. It works for a while, as you point out.

It must be a simple case of 'defective camera', which is covered under warranty.

You should turn it in for an exchange, if it is still within the exchange period with the vendor or store you got it from.
If it is no longer within the exchange period, then it ought to be within the one-year warranty period, so in that case, turn it in to FujiFilm for repair under warranty - go to
http://camerarepair.fujifilm.co.uk/

I hope that in either case, you get a satisfactory resolution of the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome.

Feel welcome to come back to JustAnswer.com at any time to ask another question in any one of our numerous areas of expertise.