Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Hi my sx40 camera got wet yesterday. Splashed with sea water. I

Customer Question

my sx40 camera got wet yesterday. Splashed with sea water.
I took out the battery and memory card, dried it and left over night
it turns on this morning but will not take pictures, the menu will not display and the zoom does not work
Can you advise?
Thanks Robert
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I advise you to dry the camera out more thoroughly, for several days. Overnight wasn't enough evidently.

It may not get the camera fully working again with absolute certainty, but it will give it a chance.

If you have silica gel packets, they are (once they are dried in the gentle heat of a very low oven (e.g. 145 degrees F) for several hours) the ideal drying agent, very absorptive of water vapor.
If you don't, uncooked plain rice will do. Blow the chaff and rice dust off it first, then put the camera, batteries removed and all hatches open, on the rice, close the plastic bag over it, in a moderately warm dry location like the top shelf of a dry closet, for several days.

See if that restores full function.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for your reply

Not the type of help I was expecting, you reply is sound info but that was on one of the web pages I visited before just answer.

Best wishes Robert

My answer was, I think, good sense. And the first thing to try under the circumstances.

If that effort fails, I will have other advice to offer, so please let me know what the result is, if you would care to. Thanks.