RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I have a Canon 400D The pop up flash does/does not open?o

I have a Canon 400D The pop up flash does/does not open?operate
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.

There are a few things that can cause this error. If the flash does not "pop up" when the camera is used in low light (depending on the mode of operation) Err 05 may be displayed, but not always. First, there is a known problem with a sensor switch located in the hotshoe (external flash mount). If this gets stuck, dirty or blocked, the camera thinks that an external flash is mounted and stops the "pop up" flash from operating correctly. Use a toothpick to exercise the switch pointed out in the picture, Also, use a tooth brush to clean under the slides on the right and left sides to clear the springs. Try this procedure first, take a few shots and let me know the result.

graphic
View Full Image

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If, and only if my answer to your question is helpful and you are Satisfied with it, please leave Positive Feedback. Thank you