Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Looking into my pictures they do not show as small pictures

Customer Question

Looking into my pictures they do not show as small pictures helping you to identify each one; but they come up as quartered orange portions or in blue marked PDF
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Where are the pictures that don't show up as small pictures (known as 'thumbnails') ? on your camera, or on your computer?

Please describe the camera - or the computer - that you are asking about a bit more.
- If a camera, please give the maker and model #.
- If a computer, please tell me whether it is a Windows PC, or an Apple computer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Russell,

It is actually on my Toshibo laptop, when I bring up my pictures it used to show them in groups with a date below that I had transferred them from my camera, and then when I double clicked on them they came up on the screen; now when I bring up my pictures in word they appear as groups, but without any caption as to what they are, when I randomly choose one and click or double click on it it comes up mainly as a quartered marigold type flower or a blue top saying PDF, but no little pictures as it used to be. Kind regards

Eric

So, are you viewing the pictures in MS Word or in MS Office?

Please tell me that, and also what version of MS Word if that's what you are using to review the pictures. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am 86 and not quite sure, but I think it is in MS Word it keeps linking me though to my printer which is cannon. I don't know what version of word,

s there anyway I could send something off the laptop that would be able to tell you more. Thank you. Eric

Well, Eric, what do you do - in simple terms - on your computer, with mouse and/or keyboard, to bring up the pictures display ?

Once I understand where it is, how it is brought up, I can make suggestions as to what to do to correct it, I think.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I come down to the bottom left hand corner and click on start, then move ton

up to pictures on the right column to click on pictures. The left column is saying microsoft word. this shows rows of folders with only the date taken beneath. clicking on a f,older brings up rows of the circular, quartered marigold type flowers, which represents the picture which does come up when I click on it, but that is the first time It shows the picture.

Kind regards Eric.

OK! I get the picture Eric. That is a very clear description.

Please try this:

click with the right-hand button on your mouse, upon one of the marigold-flower-icon pictures.
Select 'Properties' from the strip of menu that appears.
In the Properties for that image file, please find, on the General tab, the 'File Type' - what is it, please ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

File type = JPEG image (JPG)

regards Eric

OK.

For some reason, the association of programs to open a JPEG-type file has been corrupted or lost. You will have to re-do that association.

(I am presuming that, also, when you double-click upon one of these 'marigold-icon' files, you don't get any program opening it, no picture shows, but rather a dialog box about 'select a program' 'File Type' or 'File Association Helper' or the like appears.

(If such a 'select a program' or 'File Type' appears, please choose
Windows Picture And Fax Viewer
from that list, and see if it works and opens the picture file.)

(If 'File Association Helper' appears, then choose
Search through Windows
then choose Windows Picture and Fax Viewer from the list, and see if the picture opens.)

If it works, opens the picture properly, then close the picture file, then double-click on the same file again, and this time also check the box for
Always use the specified program to open [etc. etc.]
and you ought to find the problem cured.

Let me know how that goes, and if it isn't comprehensible at any point, let me know where you got lost, and I'll guide you through to the finish, I hope.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Russell I have rated you highly and as you will have seen given a good tip, but in fact I printed your comments above and have been trying to work through it, but right at the beginning they are various images not all marigolds, but say I click on a marigold there is a picture comes up.so I cant find a file type or file association helper ???

you will probably want to give me up?? anyway Thank you for trying Eric

I'm not giving up on any customer as good as you, Eric.

If a 'marigold picture' can open just fine, then that's not a sign of any problem.

The way a picture file's icon looks, is just an indicator of what program will open it. If you *can* open a 'marigold' file, then it's doing fine, I guess. But you *can* change that marigold icon, I think.

But if you want to do that, first tell me: If you *can* open a marigold file, what is in the title bar (the blue bar at the top) of the window that opens with the picture in it ? aside from the file's name, there is the program's name in it. What is the program's name, that is associated with that 'marigold' icon ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for staying with me. When I click on one of the marigold icons the strip along the top reads :

#(###) ###-####- windows live photo galery

first a little orange sqiggle then the above.

below this:

Edit,organise,or share file email print slide show. regards Eric

Windows Live Photo Gallery is OK for you to have those image files opened by, I would think. (Unless you think it's not OK...)

I guess that closes the case, really. Some setting on your computer changed, but it is still capable of dealing with the image files that are now marked with a quartered and marigolds (which evidently is Windows Live Photo Gallery's icon of association.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your help Russell we part very good friends.

Eric

You're welcome Eric.

Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com. Please feel welcome to ask another question, at any time, in any one of our numerous categories.