Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

My G1 Lumix digital camera pictures print out with blurred

My G1 Lumix digital camera pictures print out with blurred multi coloured stripes across the pictures. I have taken the lens off and can see rainbow-like lights inside the camera back. This effects the digital print. What causes this? And can it be repaired? If so how much is it likely to cost? Your help will be much appreciated - Stuart XXXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX, m. XXXXX XXX XXX. Email: *****@******.***

Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The rainbow-like lights inside the camera might possibly be a leakage of oil inside the camera. Some of the questions below about camera care and its history might be relevant to this.

Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

How long has the battery or batteries in the camera been in-use? If over a year, then you might possibly have a battery/batteries that are getting weak. Rechargeable batteries do get weaker with time, and eventually fail to deliver enough power to start up a device like a digital camera; they then need replacing. The replacement battery needs to be charged up for 6+ hours before its first use, owing to its having been on a shelf for a considerable time.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?

If you wish to have the camera repaired, you could send it to Panasonic UK.
Go to
http://panasonic.eu/ServiceCenter/en_GB/index_uk.html
and select

Visual
then select
Digital Still Cameras
and then enter your region (by your postcode) and click on "locate".
(The page may appear not to work, but scroll down to see any search results.)