Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Canon EOS 1000D and error message 405. I cannot get

Customer Question

I have a Canon EOS 1000D and error message 405. I cannot get the photos to download onto the computer
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I presume that your computer is an Apple computer at a guess - but tell me if it is a Windows PC.

Try connecting the camera to the computer, then seeing whether it pops up or appears as a disk-drive like device. Notice whether the computer makes a noise of recognition of the computer as a USB device, a sort of clunk-clunk noise.

If it doesn't appear, and/or if the error 405 repeats again, try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

Let me know, and I will advise you further. (I am presuming that the 'error 405' appears on the computer screen, but tell me if it is otherwise, please.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The computer is a laptop running Windows 7.

The message on the computer is that it does not recognise the USB device.

The error message is on the camera.

The camera is almost 4 years old.

Same advice?

Yes, try the battery removal, and try the cleaning of battery terminals, as recommended previously.

(Tell me what the complete error message is, on the camera. It has '405' in it, but what's the rest of the text?)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The only message is (405) at the top is says ...Busy.

Try turning the camera Off for a while, then removing the memory card, then powering the camera On again.

Does that change the error, at least?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Same error code

doesn't say busy now

will take battery out now and clean as suggested

presumably I can contact again tomorrow if not successful

OK. Get back to me at your convenience. Tomorrow will be fine. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK I have tried your advice - twice , with no change. The error message remains the same. The computer will still not recognise the camera as a device an allow the photos to be downloaded from the camera.

OK, then: the camera is 4 years old and out of warranty, and unfortunately it has some sort of serious problem by the sound of it (though the error 405 is not listed specifically in any source I have access to, so I don't know the specifics.)

It comes down to a decision between having it serviced, and replacing it.

To service it, go to
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer?pageKeyCode=onlineRepairLanding

The decision between servicing and replacing it is yours, though if it is replaced, having the old camera recycled, or selling it to gazelle.com, would be a good option.
Thank you for consulting JustAnswer.com. Please feel welcome to ask another question, at any time, in any one of our numerous categories.