RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

We have a Canon EOS 400D we have recently had a new pc I have

We have a Canon EOS 400D we have recently had a new pc I have loaded from disk the EOS Utility software but when we try to transfer the images from camera the EOS utility is not offering a download it seems that the camera is not being read and there are no images to transfer?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.

First, you have already verified that you are still able to view your photos on the camera. So now, double check and make sure that you are using your original cable that came with the camera.

Next, the recent automatic security updates to the Windows operating system and virus protection programs interfere with the camera connections. I have seen many cases where the connection worked one day and would not work the next. Some manual set up may be required to get the camera to connect, even with the camera's photo software installed.

Now, restart you computer once more. Then with the camera on and connected with the usb cable,on the computer, go to control panel,

To open Control Panel

• Open Control Panel by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Control Panel in the search box, tapping or clicking Apps, and then tapping or clicking Control Panel.

Control
    View Full Image
    Control Panel

Control Panel has familiar settings like themes and desktop backgrounds, Family Safety, screen resolution, and more.

To open the Settings charm

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Settings.)

In the Settings charm, you'll find settings, help, and info for the app you're in, plus a few common PC settings—network connection, volume, brightness, notifications, power, and keyboard. These PC settings are the same no matter where you are in Windows, but the app settings are different in every app.

To search for settings

If you're not sure where to find the settings you're looking for, you can search your PC.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search.)

2. Enter a word or phrase in the Search box, tap or click Settings, and then select from the list of results.

select show all options, then, scanners and cameras and try to connect through the wizard. If unsuccessful, the last place to look is in the device manager. Go to back Control Panel, double click the System icon and select Device Manager. Under the heading Imaging Devices you should find the camera, possibly with a yellow triangle with an exclamation point. Click on Imaging devices (the words will highlight), then go up and click on Action and select "scan for hardware changes". The camera may then appear under the heading. You can also delete it and allow the computer to try to provide the correct driver. Since you are trying to use camera window software, open the program and try to connect.

If you want to use the recently developed Canon software, you can download it at the link below. Select your version of windows in the dropdown box when the page opens.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/digital_rebel_xti#DriversAndSoftware

While not the most popular suggestion, this one depending on your computer configuration may be the only way around the problem and one of the two cameras photos may need to downloaded as follows. As an alternative, because of multiple compatibility issues with the camera connections and current operating systems, my other suggestion is to get an inexpensive usb memory card reader. You can take your memory card from the camera and plug it into the computer. The card will show up as a removable drive in "My Computer" and you can copy the photo files to a folder on your hard drive and view and print them from Windows. Personally, I prefer this method due to the simplicity and reduced wear and tear on the camera.

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is complete and you are satisfied.

If, and only if my answer to your question is helpful and you are Satisfied with it, please leave Positive Feedback. Thank you