Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

My camera is a Finepix S4000 & it has lost sound particularly

Customer Question

My camera is a Finepix S4000 & it has lost sound particularly on video, try as I might I cannot cancel the RED CROSS over the speaker in the screen, Help please
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Unfortunately that 'unremovable Mute' on the speaker probably means the speaker has no function, and the camera has sensed that.

Try increasing the volume first, though.

And try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

How old is the camera? in months or years since you bought it.

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?

If the camera is less than a year old, since purchase, then if it has not suffered the above points of ill usage and poor care, then it is covered by warranty and the failure of the sound will be repaired by FujiFilm for free under warranty.

Otherwise, you may have to send it to FujiFilm UK for repairs.

Let me know the specifics mentioned, and I will advise you further as appropriate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My camera is about four years old & has never been subjected to any of the things you mention, I first noticed this fault some time back when filming some old steam trains & noticed the speaker icon with a red cross through it. as in my question I tried everything possible to remove this, all to no avail. There must surely be something within the menu to control this, all other functions are completely normal, both photo's & video's, sound only required on the video section obviously. like all such equipment the camera is never subjected to abuse in any shape or form, it is kept clean, dry & indoors or in my car, taken great care of when outdoors. It seems there is no function in the menu to get to the speaker to turn it on or off or increase or decrease the volume, regrettably I have lost the instruction booklet, surely there must or should be. It has never been wet, dirty or otherwise abused & always has good batteries. The speaker icon shows off now with no red cross.. I have made sure it is dry & warm, batteries are new

The camera is out of warranty.

Sending it to FujiFilm UK will mean the cost of repair will be charged to you.

The instruction book for this model is downloadable at

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/pdf/index/s/finepix_s3200s4000series_manual_01.pdf

If the camera is sent to FujiFilm UK for repair, here is the information for doing so:

http://camerarepair.fujifilm.co.uk/

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com. Good luck with the process.