Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I'm using a canon 70d camera,mp-e65mm len on a focus rail.i

I'm using a canon 70d camera,mp-e65mm len on a focus rail.i used mirror lock and a remote control but when the shutter closes it still moves the camera and the pictures are then blured, is there any thing else I can do to stop this happening or is my camera faulty
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I can have no immediate certain answer to your question. Blurry photos might be due to any number of factors. But:
1. you might have your camera in Macro (closeup) mode. This would exaggerate any vibrations greatly.
2. you might (?) have the camera wrongly focused, quite simply. Check on that, at any rate.
3. the mount or tripod etc. that the camera is on, might actually be somewhat shaky.
4. you could have a defective camera - see below.
5. you could possibly (?) be doing the procedure wrong - see below.

As to what to do to check on the above, or to eliminate them as possible causes, this is what I recommend:
1: don't use Macro mode, or decrease the closeup a bit, so as to be focused at a greater distance (we are speaking of distances on the order of 4 inches, with Macro mode.)

2. with a remote, put the lens focus mode switch (see picture) in Manual mode (MF) or in Auto-focus mode (AF). (Obviously - but if in MF mode, you must actually focus the lens yourself! the which step, neglected, would account for any blurriness.)
graphic

3: a shaky tripod or mounting will become evident if tremors are seen in the viewfinder when you barely touch any part of the mount (rather than the camera.) Try a different mounting surface, e.g. the top of a solid wall or such, and if that eliminates the problem, then the mount or tripod is the problem.

4: defective camera ? that can be tested for quite easily by taking *any* picture - with the camera in your hands - and see if they come out blurry too. Note all the steps you take to take the picture down on paper, then see if, when mounted and remote-controlled, you are going through the same steps (if you get a good result when not using a remote.)

5: an unknown step could be missing from the procedure, such as your neglecting to notice that you are in MF Manual Focus mode and the camera needs to be focused by hand. The steps are all as below, in outline, for remote control shooting:
- focus the subject (switch on lens in MF) - or use AF mode.
- press the DRIVE button on the camera (second button from the left on the upper right side of the camera as you look at the subject.
- look at LCD, and turn the thumbwheel to select either 2-second or 10-second delay. (If you have been using 2-second, try 10-second... and give it all the time in the world.)
- point the remote at the remote sensor on the front left face of the camera (left, as seen from the subject's side of the camera) and trigger the remote.
- self-timer lamp should light up and a picture be taken. Give it time... or watch a clock or watch to determine the amount of time to wait.

Note that a fluorescent or LED light source can mis-trigger the camera.
Note that a TV remote could trigger the camera too.
Note that if not using a wireless remote trigger, chances of the camera vibrating while the picture is taken are much greater!

Let me know what you think, please. Thanks.
Russell H., Technician
Experience: Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.