Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

How can I mount my Kodak P20 flash onto a Sony NEX 6 camer

How can I mount my Kodak P20 flash onto a Sony NEX 6 camera?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I don't think that there is any way to use the P20 flash by Kodak with any other camera than a Kodak camera that it was specifically designed for. You see, it is a 'dedicated' flash, which means it will not work with cameras in general.

How were you thinking that it could work with your Sony camera? if you have any 'leads' as to its possibly working, or any specific idea in mind, please let me know... it might suggest something.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As far as I am aware, Kodak used the same system as Nikon, so at least it would be compatible with Nikon cameras. The Sony Nex uses a different hot shoe design to the Kodak/Nikon and I was wondering if there was an adapter to match. Clearly, I seem to know more about this and regard your service as a scam and waste of money.

Well, I never heard of an adapter between hot shoe types, as opposed to between lens mounts (of which there are plenty.)

I strongly suspect that the difference in hot shoe design reflects a difference in voltages. A voltage converter as well as a mounting converter would be impractical, because it would add weight and bulk to the camera to the point of being unwieldy.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/tf321-hot-shoe-pc-sync-socket-convert-adapter-for-kodak/219621271.html?listingId=130426341&sclid=pla_google_YallStore&adid=29963&gclid=CKmLy7uQ_cECFQsQ7AodKVMANQ
is the nearest thing I can find to what you mention. It is described rather vaguely, so I am not sure it is a Nikon-hot-shoe-to-Kodak-flash-unit adapter.

This question, on a similar issue of adapting the shot shoe connector for a P20 flash unit:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/23862952
has, rather indicatively, no response(s) whatsoever, though it was posted in 2007.

I strongly suspect that there is no such adapter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

There are three cases where a self-powered flash, such as the P120, requires no voltage transformation. The most obvious is a wireless connection, where the transmitter sits on the camera hot shoe and the flash on a separate receiver mount. The other is an on-camera adapter, which incorporates an opto-electronic isolator cicuit, so the camera and flash electronics are kept separate. The third (which I do not want) is a slave mount which is triggered by the flash on the camera (think viltrox).

As I seem to be educating yourself in this matter I suggest that, if you cannot find a suitable example of one the first two possibilities (of which there are dozens manufactured) you arrange for me to get a refund and I will do the legwork myself.

Best wishes,

Bill Richardson M.Sc. (Applied Physics)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Russell,

We do seem to be making progress. How about UK suppliers of these or similar products?

Yours,

Bill

What do you mean by a UK supplier, please?

Would that include ebay.co.uk (EBay UK), or only bricks-and-mortar stores or vendors in the UK?

Non-online only?

Or do you just want a vendor who charges in New Pounds (UK) ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Russell,

A UK brick and mortar store would obviously be ideal but possibly too much to expect. Any UK vendor, including ebay UK would be fine or, as a last resort, a European one which charges in euro. A US supplier is useless, not just for the currency but because the shipping costs are exorbitant.

Regards,

Bill

I understand the limitations of the circumstances; thanks for the explanation of them.

I will be researching the item(s) you need, and at length will have results of some sort, today. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Russell,

I eagerly await your response.

Regards,

Bill

There was not much to find. This is all I got so far:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Trigger-Receivers-SpeedLite-Olympus/dp/B003GVQ1J4

and that isn't the most favored of what I found from US-relevant vendors... there was simply no UK sales of the most favored to be found.

But this one is from UK, and ships to UK without charge. And there are still 4 of them left to sell.

A vague assortment of various hot shoe adapters in eBay's UK site is here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Flash-Adapters-/69573/i.html

and the most promising of those, perhaps, is
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flash-Hot-Shoe-Adapter-for-All-flashgun-to-Sony-Alpha-Minolta-camera-rep-FS-1100-/300624404084?pt=UK_Photography_Flash_Adapters&hash=item45fe9c5e74

Let me know whether I should search further. And what you think of these results.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many Thanks. I see what you mean about the UK ones being rather limited. I wonder if you would be kind enough to give me your best results for what might be picked up from NY city and I can ask relations/ business associates to collect for me when they pass through.

Best wishes,

Bill

OK. Give me a little time to do that research. (My excuse: New York, New York is a big city, a big metropolitan area.)

It may be until tomorrow noon or so (in e. USA time. About 16 hours from date-and-time of posting this.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.