Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

power shot A4000 IS digital camera, lens was forced shut now

power shot A4000 IS digital camera, lens was forced shut now when turn on comes up as lens error and lens not moving
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this.
There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure.
How/why was is forced shut?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

someone just pushed the lens back not knowing what she was doing.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
That is not good, how old is it? Do you have any experience opening cameras or working on electronics?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

relatively new, no experience of opening cameras

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Ok then you may want to have a technician do this. The first thing you can do on your own is to blow out around the lens with compressed air. That can sometimes get it working again and is the first thing I would be doing if it was in my hands...

After that if the lens is out even a little hold the power button and try to pull on it a bit. Do not force it out just do it enough for the camera to see it is trying to move. Sometimes this will get it to extend which is what you want.

If neither of those works you need to completely disassemble the camera remove the lens assembly. Clean it the best you can and reseat it. If the same thing happens the lens assembly needs to be replaced. This video shows how to disassemble the lens: Click Here If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Canon.
.