Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Years of experience helping consumers and businesses with their technology needs.
63083622

I have a canon G15 DSLR camera, I have been using it to take

I have a canon G15 DSLR camera, I have been using it to take video footage which I edit, and burn onto a DVD for watching on a DVD player through Cyberlink PowerDirector software. Unfortunately the finished DVD is un-watchable because it is extremely juddery. I've discovered the problem is because the camera uses a 'rolling shutter' to shoot the footage. Do you know any way of fixing this problem? Is there some software available to correct it? I've tried using the 'stabilizer' and 'camera shake' fixes contained in my editing software, but they don't make it any better.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Wes :

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Please favorite or bookmark this page press CTRL+D, so you can return here if we get disconnected. Adobe Premiere Pro has a correction for rolling shutter

Wes :

The stabilization features won't fix it because they don't really address the problem. What you need is a correction that will deal with the skewing effect caused by the "rolling shutter". Depending on the version of Power Director you're using there are plug-ins that can deal with Rolling Shutter. I don't regularly use PD or these plug-ins so I can't testify as to how effective they are. Even the correction for Premiere Pro isn't perfect.

The plug-in is here:
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/partner-plug-ins/partner-newblue-ve3_en_US.html

Wes :

Your status is showing "Standing By", in order to prevent wasting your chat time I am going to disconnect until you are ready to proceed. When you are, please type a response and hit the "reply" button and I will be sent a message that you have reconnected and I will reconnect to you as soon as I can. Bear in mind that I am located in the United States (Central Time) and if you are in a different time zone, that may affect response times and availability.

Customer:

Many thanks for your help Wes, I knew Adobe Premiere Pro can make it a little better, but that is $700 - a lot of money to pay to fix the problem!! I had already upgraded to the latest version of Power Director - 13, instead of using a plug-in, hoping that would help, but as I said it doesn't. The plug in you suggest is only for version 11 or 12, so I assumed 13 would already have it. I can't believe no-one has a solution, surely all cameras using rolling shutter causes this problem, there must be some in-expensive software out there somewhere that would help.

Wes :

http://www.muvee.com/en/rolling_shutter_correction#.VGY1PcmAliB

$19.00 Advertises Rolling Shutter correction, but I have not used it.

Wes :

Some manufacturers are working on built-in correction

Wes :

Really high-end cameras also expose more quickly so they don't experience as much distortion as lower-end consumer products do

Customer:

many thanks, ***** ***** looked into the Muvee software, but it appeared to be just a trial that would expire quite quickly - I was wary of how much the full version may end up being. I also vaguely remember it had some negative reviews online. However it's probably worth trying. I really am just an amateur photographer and videographer shooting family events, the Canon G15 is about at the limit of the budget I'm willing to spend on equipment, and Power Director is perfectly adequate for my editing needs. It may be that I just keep shooting footage and wait for a proper fix to be developed! Again, many thanks for your help

Wes :

You're welcome. Please remember to click a smiley face before you go