Wes
Wes, Consultant
Experience:  Years of experience helping consumers and businesses with their technology needs.
63083622

I have a canon XH A1s camcorder and I would like to know how

I have a canon XH A1s camcorder and I would like to know how to connect it to a new HD TV by cable and display it in full HD. The TV has HDMI inputs and I am not sure which output terminal on the camera to use. Can you assist?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Wes replied 2 years ago.
Wes :

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Please favorite or bookmark this page press CTRL+D, so you can return here if we get disconnected. You can't use an HDMI cable. You need to use the included DTC-1000 Component Video Cable along with the STV-290N Stereo Video Cable to output the audio

Wes :

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/HDV/XHA1S/XH_G1S_XH_A1S_NTSC_E_web.pdf
See page 80 of the user manual for viewing HD content on a TV

Wes :

Did you need further assistance with this?

Wes :

I see you've disconnected. When you would like to continue our conversation, type a response in the box below and hit the reply button. I will be sent a message that you have reconnected and I will reconnect to you as soon as I can.

Customer:

HI. I had read this page but the HD TV (Pansonic model TX-L42DT50B) doesn't have the three Green, Blue and Read sockets in order that I can use the supplied DTC-1000 cable as the manual shows that it needs. So, unless there is a converter or some sort that would connect to one of the sockets that ARE on the TV, I can't see what to do.

Wes :

please refrain from rating until we have completed

Wes :

Yes there are adapters you can purchase, but one is not included

Wes :

Is there a reason you are upset with the information I have provided?

Customer:

HI. I had read this page but the TV (a Panasonic model TX-L42DT50B) doesn't have the three (green, blue and red) sockets on it to enable me to utilise the DTC-1000 cable supplied. I must emphasise that I want (or hope to be able) to view in full HD not just regular lower quality DV.

Wes :

The adapter in the link I provided will allow you full 1080p

Customer:

However, you still haven't responded to the fact that there AREN'T the three sockets on the TV!

Wes :

It doesn't need the three... it will convert the Component input from the camera to HDMI

Wes :

Look, you use the DTC-1000 and the STV-290N cables to connect the camera to the converter box... then you connect an HDMI cable from the converter box to the TV.

Customer:

I only gave the rating of the answer as I have nevern used this service before and wasn't sure what to do next. However, you mention a converter box which is NOT mentioned in the manual so I am rather confused.

Wes :

The converter box is not included you would have to purchase it. There is no included adapter or way to connect the XH A1s to an HDTV via HDMI.

Wes :

You may have received a small adapter cable with the TV... do you have that?

Wes :

See the small blueish-green port in the bottom right. Does your TV have that?

Wes :

If it does, you can use this cable... no adapter box needed

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-TX-L42DT50B-Audio-Component-Adapter/dp/B00K854BVG

It should/may have been included with the Panasonic TV

Wes :

So you might already have it

Wes :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

OK. Now I understand and have the connector for the TV that you describe and for which have given me a link. Thanks! ***** understand that I need to use the configuration as shown on page 78 of the manual with the white and the red plugs on the supplied STV-290N cable plugged into the white and RED sockets on the AV2(Component/Video) adaptor AND the green, blue and RED plugs from the DTC-1000 plugged into the green, blue and RED sockets on the AV2 adaptor. Finally, the blue double plug with the two pins on it should be plugged into the socket that you indicated on the TV. However, one last question. On the TV's AV2 adaptor, there are TWO red sockets. Are they equivalent or are they subtly different and, if so, how do I chose or is it just a matter of trial and error?

Wes :

They are different. You have two groups of cables, one group of three (green, blue, red) and a group of two (red and white). The group of red and white are for audio. So you don't want to interchange the two reds. The STV-290N goes into the group of two (red and white), the yellow will be unused. The DTC-1000 goes into the group of three cables (matching colors).

Wes :

If they're not separated out like this

Full Size Image

Wes :

then you can just do trial an error with the reds.

Wes :

But chances are whichever read is closest to the white is an audio, the other red is the video

Wes :

if that answers your question fully, please click on a smiley face before you go

Wes :

if not, let me know how I can further assist/clarify/etc...

Customer:

Thanks for the response. I have now noticed that the 5 wires in the TV's AV2 adaptor are grouped into a pair and the triplet so I think that the question is answered.

Wes :

okay great, please re-rate the question by clicking on a happy smiley face

Customer:

At the end of the conversation, you have explained what I would never have guessed and all I have to do now is put it to the test. So, many thanks you get a fully smiley face!! Have a good weekend!