Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I cannot take a picture

Customer Question

I cannot take a picture but the flash flashes the screen says busy with the flash symbol

Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Russell H. :

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Russell H. :

Please tell me what maker and model # ***** camera you have this problem with.

Russell H. :

Please also mention how old, measured from date of purchase, the camera is.

Russell H. :

Try removing the batteries, and leaving the camera on a (dry, non-humid, non-dusty) shelf for overnight. Then put the batteries back in and try the camera again.

Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

JACUSTOMER-s114fw7n- :

trid this still the same a busy and lightning symbe appers in the screen.

JACUSTOMER-s114fw7n- :

hello

Russell H. :

I would like to offer further assistance.

Russell H. :

Please tell me how old the camera is, measured from date of purchase ?

Russell H. :

Has the camera been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has the camera been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Has the camera been operated in a gritty or sandy environment, such as a beach, a seaside, a construction site, or the like?

JACUSTOMER-s114fw7n- :

no non off the above

Russell H. :

Then I am glad to hear that the camera has been treated well.

Russell H. :

Please tell me how old the camera is, measured from its date of purchase... ?

JACUSTOMER-s114fw7n- :

about 5 years old

Russell H. :

Then the camera is out of warranty for sure.

The next question I have to ask is, Is the battery in the camera original to the camera? is it the one that came with it when it was new ?

JACUSTOMER-s114fw7n- :

yes

Russell H. :

Then the battery is most likely to be the problem, I feel fairly sure. Though admittedly the camera itself could have failed owing to age, the symptoms do suggest the battery is perhaps more likely at fault:

Russell H. :

The 'busy' and flash symbol signifies, in my view, that the flash support circuitry (which must build up / store enough power and voltage to fire the flash) is not getting enough power and/or voltage from the battery.

JACUSTOMER-s114fw7n- :

thanks ill get new battery and try again thanks Russell H.

Russell H. :

Rechargeable batteries always fail with time. And 5 years is a long time for a rechargeable battery to last.

Russell H. :

Please try a new battery, but be sure to charge it for at least 5 or 6 hours, before trying it for the first time. That is needed, because it has been sitting on the shelf for a while.

Russell H. :

Let me know how it goes, please. I would like to know whether the new battery, upon a thorough recharge, cures the problem.

JACUSTOMER-s114fw7n- :

will do thanks

Russell H. :

Russell H. :

Over-and-out for now, if that's OK.