Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

I have a Canon 1100D camera previous model was accidently

Customer Question

I have a Canon 1100D camera previous model was accidently damaged and this is replacement through insurance. If I use auto mode most of the images are badly over exposed. Have recently visited Rome, took photos of Coliseum in bright sunlight, all attempts were badly over exposed until I went as low as F5.6 when I thought it ought to be nearer F16. Likewise this w/e I took photos of granddaughter and exposures were all wrong
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
, thank you JustAnswer.com. . I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Have you tried a factory settings reset? it probably wouldn't affect Auto mode exposures, but you never know... it is worth a try.

When you use Manual focus mode, can you get the right exposure? both in preview, and in actual picture taken... ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I don't see how putting it on manual focus can affect the exposure.

I'm sorry - I meant Manual mode, period.

Can you get the exposure right when you focus manually, I mean? if you can't, that would indicate some degree of unreliability in the camera, depending upon results.