Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

Hi, I have accidentally formatted my micro sd card on my Canon

Hi, I have accidentally formatted my micro sd card on my Canon IXUS 95 IS, and appear to have lost all my photos/videos. I removed the card once immediately after reformat took place.
Can I recover the photos/videos?
Niall Brennan
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Before anything else I want to make sure you know it is extremely possible that you will not be able to recover any of these images, although I wish I did I have no control over that.

Download and install recuva from here: Click Here
Choose priform under the free version.

Make sure the camera is connected to the computer and open recuva.
Click next and then choose pictures and click next again.

Choose on media card or ipod then click next.
Put a check in the box that says enable deep scan and then click on start (this is what makes it better than phoenix).

If anything at all can be recovered this will find it.
If it does not find anything unfortunately although I wish you could you will not be able to recover anything.

If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know.
If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated.
Please note you are rating me only not this site or what you are able to recover.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, the deep scan did not locate any files. I don't want to give up on this problem, is there anything else that can be done?

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
I wish there was as I really hate having to tell people this and know it is never what they want to hear but unfortunately there is not. That deep scan would have found them even if they were only partially there. The problem with formatting over just deleting is that when you format it deletes then overwrites with free space. That is what causes the problem. Sometimes we can get things back using a deep scan like that which would even get images like this one which is only partially recovered:

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_danielrsmall.com/images/partially_recovered/partially_recovered_detail2.jpg

When it does not see anything at all it means that they are gone completely and can not be recovered. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or what you are able to recover.
.