Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Hi I have a canon a 720 which switches on and off when ever

Hi I have a canon a 720 which switches on and off when ever it pleases .it seems to be down to posibly a faulty on off contact as it is activated by the slightest vibration ie slight knock or movement
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the camera On again.

If the battery compartment terminals are dirty enough, just slight vibrations in the camera could cause disconnection of power, turning Off the camera.

If the camera turns On erratically, of course, that's different. Let me know, please. Thanks. (And, have you tried cleaning the On/Off switch out with compressed air blown into it? that might help too, possibly.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks and to say I have checked the obviouse i.e. battery contacts but yes it also switches on at random and is also associated with any slight vibration to the device. I have not ventured to far into the switch contacts but I jest wonder if it is a simple pc mounted SM switch and whether it requires and open circuit to switch on or closed contacts as it is only likely to be a press type switch which toggles between the two functions

The toggling is likely to be done in the circuitry these days rather than in the mechanics of the switch, so it is likely to be a temporary-closed-contacts push-button type switch.

Spray compressed air into the switch from the outside, and that may help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks but no more information required and thanks for your help