Russell H.
Russell H., Technician
Experience:  Working with digital cameras & questions for nearly 8 years.
13568747

Canon mv730i I cannot get the camera to talk to my PC or

Customer Question

Canon mv730i I cannot get the camera to talk to my PC or iMac. I am using the lead supplied with USB connection to PC.
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If your Windows computer can show the camera's icon in
Start - Computer
and you can double-click on that icon and get either a listing of files, or a 'live view' image of what the camera sees, then your camera connection is OK.

But, if you cannot get any such thing on any Windows computer, with the USB cable you have and your Canon Legria camcorder attached via that USB cable... then the computers are not defective, and the camera may be defective, but you should try a different USB cable (...before you can conclude that the camera is defective.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I want to download to my iMac so that I can use iMovie.

Try connecting the camcorder to your iMac, and then access it as if it were a disk drive. E.g. by double-clicking upon the icon for it that may appear on your iMac's Desktop screen. See if you can get movie files off it that way, and then import those files into iMovie.