RUSSTING
RUSSTING, Technician
Experience:  30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
24675295

I've got5 an IXUS 8215, which has been a lovely camera and

I've got5 an IXUS 8215, which has been a lovely camera and has enabled me to capture some pretty good photos. This evening, I switched it on, and a message to the effect that "Lens errror. Restart camera" appeared on the screen - I've seen the message before, when something (usualy my clumsy fingers) have got in the way of the lens extending properly. This evening, though, this was not the case, and when I turned the camera off, the lens did not retract. Now, when I turn on the camera, it makes whirring noises and says "Lens error (etc)", and when I turn it off, it pauses briefly before switching off the power light, but still does ot retract the lens. Is it dead? I'll be sorry if it is, because I've become very attached to it over the years, and it goes everywhere with, just in case...
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  RUSSTING replied 2 years ago.

If your camera is still under Canon's one year warranty (which is remotely possible), the only safe thing to try before sending the camera for service is to use canned compressed air to blow out the area between the lens barrel and camera body since even a small amount of sand or grit can cause this problem. It can also be caused by the lens being restricted when opening, as you mentioned, unfortunately this failure can become chronic.

You can contact an Canon authorized repair facility for warranty service, at the link below for free repair or replacement.

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/Telephone_Numbers/index.aspx

If for whatever reason you cannot use the warranty services, here are some "do it yourself" fixes that you can try, at your own risk.

Put the camera switch in the Off position. Place it on the back with the lens facing up and take a look at the spacing between the lens and the lens housing. If you notice that the gap is not even all the way around the lens, the problem should be easy to fix. This type of a problem usually occurs if the camera was accidentally turned on while the lens is restricted.

Next, apply gentle pressure down the lens on the side where the gap is the biggest. You should hear a "click" as it pops back into place. Try powering the camera on.

If the lens doesn't extend at all or it extends, and then retracts again, do the following. Turn the camera off. Take the camera in one hand and with the other gently take one part of the lens and gently move it round in a circular movement. Do so with both sections of the lens. You will hear a "click" as it pops back in place. Power the camera on.

Next, try to pull and twist on the largest ring of the lens while turning the camera on. Listen for a "click". If at first the focus seems to be off, turn the camera on and off and take lots of pictures, close ups and distance. Focus should slowly start improving.

If the steps above do not work or there appears to not be enough power, depending on how long you have been using the rechargable battery, it may be time for a new one since as digital cameras age they become more sensitive to the power level.

Since the lens does not make it to the correct sensor point due to it being forced in, as noted above, some physical manipulation is necessary. A lens position error will halt the camera start up process. Lens errors are a common problem. With newer cameras I am usually hesitant to suggest these options since they include some more extreme procedures that may cause further damage if not done correctly, but they may save you an expensive repair bill or having to replace it. The links below give step by step DIY instructions on troubleshooting and attempting to fix this problem. You can disregard references to sand blockages as the cause. An older Canon camera is used to demonstrate these procedures but, the lens structure of these compact cameras is the same so the examples do apply to this unit. These procedures are effective about 60% of the time. Click on or copy the link location and paste them into your browser.

FIX 1

FIX 2

If the "do it yourself" approach doesn't work out for you the camera can be replaced, with a brand new one of the same model for less than the repair cost. Considering the age and present value of this camera, paying the cost of having it repaired , approximately £80 for Canon repair, really depends on how attached to the camera you are, but it is generally not worth it. The standard "rule of thumb" is if the repair cost is greater than 50% of the value of the camera, it is not worth it. A new updated IXUS 132is can be purchased for as low as £72.99 and a used IXUS 82is for around £35 on Amazon.

Please keep in mind that my diagnosis & solutions provided are directly
dependent on the accuracy of your description of the problem. As with
any "do it yourself" fixes, success is a "team effort", since I can't
see or touch the camera, and relies on the customer's manual dexterity
and ability to follow the instructions well.

If you require additional information, please use the Reply to Expert
Tab to contact me. Click the ratings only after our exchange is
complete and you are satisfied.

If, and only if my answer to your question is helpful and you are
Satisfied with it, please leave Positive Feedback.

RUSSTING, Technician
Experience: 30 years as a TV station tech gives me a unique understanding of digital camera operation and repair.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks for the answer, Russ. The camera has been with me for quite some years, so the warranty is well passed. I'll try your manual methods, but I had a suspicion that the answer was going to be along the lines of "It's better to get a new one than pay to get this one fixed." My father-in-law recently cracked the screen on his camera, and we reached the same conclusion. Thank you again.