michelleclive
michelleclive, Other
Experience:  Working as a manager in a tech support company and i have an experience of 8 years and more in electronics device.
26798893

I have a canon pixma mp600 which has stopped working and shows

I have a canon pixma mp600 which has stopped working and shows error code 5100. It is set up for mac. What does this error code mean and how can I deal with it?
Category: Digital Cameras
Expert:  michelleclive replied 2 years ago.
michelleclive :

Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

michelleclive :

The error code 5100 usually comes up after paper jam on printers.
The error indicates 2 possibilities, either their is something stuck or a sensor detecting the paper jam issues has faulted.

michelleclive :

Please try the below steps
remove ink cartridges....turn off the unit....unplug the power cable
manually slide the carriage assembly\ printhead back and forth
also clean the rail against which the assembly slides with a tissue ensuring that there is no ink residue on it
clean the golden contacts of the cartridges and the printhead with a cotton swab dipped in little alcohol
Now check the paper feed tray, roller assembly area and the area where the carriage moved for any stuck obstruction like paper, paper clips, pins etc and if found remove it.
once done turn the unit back on and check

michelleclive :

if even after performing the above steps, the error 5100 continues, then an electric sensor that detects paper jams has faulted.
If the unit is within warranty cover get the unit serviced through Canon
If the unit is out of warranty, then you may contact a local repair store for service.
However, sensors repairs\replacement in such case is costly and it is more cost effective to opt in for a new unit.
let me know if you have any questions

michelleclive :

i hope you understand that in case of hardware fault or mechanical jam i can only suggest steps to rectify it but cannot make a bad part work again or clear an internal jam

let me know if you have any questions

please click on smiley face\stars to rate my service if you are satisfied with the information recieved

Thanks for choosing just answer